Sunday, October 16, 2011

Reconnaissance on the Aiguebrun River

Here are a few photos from last Thursday's reconnaissance walk in the Luberon, as I was creating a new "Roadbook" for Walk Inn.

The regions' network of walking paths is so vast that even after years of experience in the same mountain, there are always new trails to be discovered, such as along the base of the Aiguebrun gorge, seen below:




This part of the path was magnificent, with lush vegetation and pools of water for swimming. But the path here isn't well trodden, overgrown in parts, and no waymarks to be found: I had to be extra careful in writing the written descriptions to guide our self-guided guests.




An old wooden footbridge over the Aiguebrun river:





The reconnaissance was to include a new hotel along the banks of the river: the stunning and elegant Auberge de l'Aiguebrun.





Part of the hotel: day beds along the river...






A short story:


During my day of reconnaissance I crossed paths with a group of 17 walkers from a major American adventure company. The major American adventure company in question, much like most other foreign (non-French) adventure companies, do not use certified and professional mountain guides to lead their groups: they use post undergrad students, who are "leaders" and not guides, happy to be paid to travel. The French guiding diploma isn't a breeze to obtain, needing two years of training and schooling, ensuring that there is a minimum standard in the guiding community, and a sort of protection for those who are certified; it is theoretically forbidden to guide without the diploma.


To try and shorten this story, let's say that on more than one occasion I've pointed out to these trip leaders that they really shouldn't be leading in France, and that they are essentially depriving professional guides -- people who do this for a living and know the region and its paths intimately -- of work. I've actually had to steer such leaders in the right direction at times, literally, as they were lost with their groups... I met the very kind and outgoing leader of the American group in question, one of two leaders actually, and spoke to her without any of the agression I have reserved in the past for "tour leaders". Besides, I would have probably jumped on the opportunity to do what she's doing if I were in her shoes, and would never have guessed how taking the job would impact the situation of local guides. And so I was nice. Friendly. And upon return to my vehicle -- as I had left it to walk the river -- I found the following on my car, a snack that she had also reserved for her guests, and now also for me:


Good karma. It's a small token really, but a good lesson in restraint and in kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment